Translate

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Project Update

I finally have a product.  After weeks of some really hard work and some weeks of not so hard work, I finally have a rough draft of my book.  It's funny as much as I love my project I really fell out of love with writing this book.  There were times when I absolutely hated.  I think part of it is I severely doubt my own writing ability.  And knowing that over the period of this project I asked myself several times, why would I pick something I'm not good at? or Why did I pick a project I don't enjoy?  I think the answer to the latter is that I did enjoy this project, or at least parts of it.  I loved sitting down and interviewing the residents of my local nursing home.  I loved learning about their lives and seeing where connected to mine.  The problem began when I tried to put those feeling into words, and I just got so frustrated because I felt like I wasn't doing these people justice.  These people who I have only gotten to know for a few short hours mean so much to me that I couldn't bear putting out a story telling their lives that wasn't befitting to them.  Now that I finally have finished writing, I wouldn't say I was exactly satisfied with the representation, but I am happier with it that I was a month ago.  I don't think I will ever actually be satisfied because I think to truly appreciate most people you have meet them and actually talk to them yourselves, but given that that's not a possibility, I think I did a pretty good job.  I think it's a really good thing that I was in Open while completing this project because while I never did seek out help when I fell out of love with my project, (though I probably should have) I knew the support would be there if I had.  Also, being in Open it allowed me plenty of time to sort out this problem by myself.  And as the year comes to a close, I am still so thankful I joined Open.

No comments:

Post a Comment